Saturday, November 27, 2010

Meet Rowan, A Fashion Forward Game Girl

My Friend Rowan is from Malaysia who studies 3D animation in San Francisco and has a passion for Japanese street fashion, building characters for video games, and staying up at all hours playing PC and console games. She is also very personable...every nerd guy's dream.

Rowan. (Yes Rowan, I jacked this photo from your Facebook. Ha!)
For months my professor raved about Rowan's awesome fashion sense and how I would appreciate meeting someone else that enjoyed fashion and video gaming. So, after a while of my professor pestering me, I finally met Rowan and her awesome closet on the same day. I am glad I did. I liked both instantly.

Rowan spoke a lot about her clothing style and how she believes in looking well put together whenever she leaves the house. That makes sense and honestly, I wish more people here in the US thought that way...I know we did at about 50 years ago. Anyway, where Rowan is from it is crucial to look presentable when in public and she brought that same mentality here to the US. Of course, with a little twist.

Two of Rowan's greatest fashion influences are the Lolita style and Mori girl styles from Japanese street culture. Rowan likes the detailing and general forms of the Lolita styled clothing but prefers the not so "matchy matchy" sense of the Mori girl style. Lolita style is indeed matchy. Here is a an example:


Lolita Style. Seriously matchy and seriously cute...but a little much to maintain on the regular 
 If you'd like to know more about Lolita style check out their wiki here. Here is an example of Mori girl style:


Mori girl style. Less about being perfect and more about layers and textures.
After to talking with Rowan and her mischievous cat, Ku, she brought out some of her favorite dresses and accessories for me to see and share with you. The clothing in the following pictures were purchased online  second hand. Clothing like Rowan's is hard to come by and very difficult to size (many things are in one size only) so she relies on her livejournal network to show her the way.

Here is a small glimpse into Rowan's house of style:


One of Rowan's favorite's. She bought this dress during her goth stage.
 
One of Rowan's winter dresses. She loves the tailoring and the "super dress up" feel to it.


Rowan's first Lolita dress. She wore this dress about two times...before she knew what was flattering on her.
She says this dress will be up for sale soon.



 
Rowan's favorite dress that she also likes to call er "safe" dress in that
she can wear it to class and then out to a nice dinner.
A girl's got to accessorize! Many of these necklaces came from Etsy.

An outfit's final touch.



4 comments:

  1. Supper awesome post, I only wish there is more and pictures are bigger, Rowan rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want a follow up, more dresses, lets vote on our fav dress...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowan totally does rock! I hope to get more pictures.

    My favorite dress is the white one with the purple bows!

    ReplyDelete